Long before I had Siri I used to find it incredibly annoying when parents talked about how cute their babies were. I found such comments and bold-sharing to be irritating and an indication of their self-absorption. If you've been following our blog, you see that I too have fallen down that rabbit hole. How is it that once one has a baby, one becomes so annoyingly self-absorbed?
I constantly think about Siri and am amazed at how cute she is. I shamelessly share photos/videos of Siri with friends (with or without their prompting) hoping to elicit some comment about her cuteness. But, all this commenting isn't necessarily meant for the baby. She doesn't understand what it means when people say she's cute, or adorable, or beautiful. Jeff and I understand it, however, and we relish in the fact that she is (in our eyes) the cutest, most adorable and beautiful baby in the world. And, since she's the product of both our genes, this makes us rather narcissistic.
So, my conclusion is thus: all parents are narcissists. I take ownership of my narcissism. My baby is cute because Jeff and I are cute (or so we think):) I'll continue sharing pictures to prompt response and tell people all the cute things she does. I do this because I'm a parent and parents are obligated to be natural narcissists.
1 comment:
well, I think she's cute and you can share as many pictures with me as you want, since I do the same thing. Can't wait to finally meet her!
Post a Comment